HMRC Contact Number

0870 645 1549 Call HMRC

This website advises that calls to 087 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.


HMRC Contact Number: 08706451549

Contact HMRC on 0870 042 0477 for normal enquiries or call this mobile-friendly local-rate phone number: 0300 200 3300.

Income tax – 08706451549

To contact HMRC (HM Income & Customs) about revenue tax, phone 0870 042 0477 (standard enquiries helpline) or call their profits tax helpline using this local-rate contact number: 0330 200 3300.

This 0300 number should be used for typical earnings tax enquiries, as well as for PAYE coding notices, changing your personal details, marriage allowance queries, to review your money tax and to tell HMRC that your tax code is wrong or should change. Furthermore if you have recently suffered a bereavement you can call this helpline to settle the tax affairs of the deceased and to get the required probate information about inheriting their estate.

If you are using a textphone or minicom service phone then please call 0300 200 3319.

If calling from outside the UK then phone +44 135 535 9022 (overseas calls will cost more than UK-based calls, and will vary depending on which country you are calling from and which network you’re on).

This dedicated cash flow tax support line is open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturdays 8am-4pm (closed on Sundays and bank holidays). HMRC recommends calling before 10am Monday-Friday, as this is when the lines are least busy.

HMRC (formerly Inland Revenue) provides a number of web-based services as well as their helplines. To check your cash flow tax for the current year visit:, and to notify HMRC that you have changed your name or address go to:

You can also post your money tax query to HMRC. If doing so, please use this postal address:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Profits and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.

Capital gains tax – 08706451549

Phone HMRC for typical enquiries about capital gains tax by calling their local-rate contact number 0300 200 3300, where you can notify the tax office that you have sold an item which has increased in value. Moreover you can direct your queries to advisors on this helpline if you are unsure whether any such sales will be included in your annual tax free allowance, whether you can give items away as gifts without being affected and to calculate how much you will have to pay.

Self assessment – 08706451549

Phone HMRC on their self assessment helpline using their dedicated mobile-friendly contact number 0300 200 3310. Any enquiry about self assessments, including if you should use a self assessment for your tax situation, viewing your tax calculation, important self assessment dates and Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) queries should be directed to this tax office helpline.

Textphone and minicom users should phone 0300 200 3319.

These are UK local-rate phone numbers, which cost up to 12p per minute from landlines and up to 45p from mobiles (inclusive minutes typically count toward cost of the call, check with your network provider to confirm).

To call HMRC’s self assessment helpline from outside the UK, phone +44 161 931 9070. Be aware that the call cost will be greater than UK-to-UK local-rate calls and will vary depending on which country you are calling from.

All these self assessment phone numbers are open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday, and are closed on Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Website links

A number of useful videos and web seminars on self assessments are available from the official HMRC website at

If you are having problems filling in your tax returns online, or if you have lost your HMRC username or password, visit

Postal address

You can write to HMRC about self assessments by sending your letters to this postal address, however please do not include sensitive bank details as these could be fraudulently accessed:

Self Assessment,
HM Earnings and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.

Alternatively if you need to make a payment to HMRC (formerly Inland Profits) under the self assessment system you should address your cheques to their money-handling centre:

BX5 5BD,
United Kingdom.

HMRC self assessment contact details

Department Contact number
Payments – UK 0300 200 3401
Payments – international +44 1506 476 066
Order a form – UK 0300 200 3610
Order a form – international +44 161 930 8331
Order a form – fax 0300 200 3611
Self assessment online services – UK Phone: 0300 200 3600
Self assessment online services – textphone & minicom 0300 200 3603
Self assessment online services – international +44 161 930 8445
Missed payment enquiries 0300 200 3822

Phone lines are open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-4pm. 0300 numbers cost the same as other UK neighborhood calls, international calls will cost more and will depend on the country you are calling from.

Tax credits – 08706451549

Contact HMRC about tax credits by calling 0345 300 3900. This phone number is charged at regional rate (the same as 01/02 community numbers) and can be used to request a new tax credits claim form, to tell HMRC about changes to your circumstances, to find out when and how you will be paid your tax credits, and for any other tax credit related enquiry.

Overseas callers should use this number to contact HMRC: +44 2890 538 192 (international calls cost more than UK calls and price will vary depending on where you call from).

Textphone and minicom users can contact HMRC using this number: 0345 300 3909.

To manage your tax credits online, use the official HMRC tax credits web service at:

You can also write to HMRC about tax credits – consult the table below to find the best postal address for your query.

Tax credit contact addresses

Task Address
Posting your new claim for tax credits HMRC Tax Credit Office, Liverpool, L75 1AZ, United Kingdom.
Posting your tax credit renewal forms HMRC Tax Credit Office, Comben House, Farriers Way Netherton, L75 1AX, United Kingdom.
Complaints and changes of circumstance (specify at top of your letter) HMRC Tax Credit Office, Preston, PR1 4AT, United Kingdom.

Child benefit – 08706451549

Enquiries to HMRC regarding child benefit should be directed to the contact phone number 0300 200 3100.

To start a new claim or stop claiming child benefit, for information about child benefit eligibility, to change personal details, and to make a complaint to HMRC about child benefit you should call 0300 200 3100, which is charged at the standard UK community call price.

If you require a textphone contact number please use 0300 200 3103 (same cost) or if calling from a country outside the UK phone +44 161 210 3086 (calls will cost more, and will vary depending on where the call is made from).

Call between 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday (lines are closed Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day). HMRC state that helplines are less busy 8am-11am Wednesday-Friday.

HMRC provides a live chat support service manned by child benefit advisors – this live chat service can be accessed from:

To write to HMRC about child benefits, use this postal address (if making a complaint, write ‘complaint’ on the envelope):

HM Earnings and Customs – Child Benefit Office,
PO Box 1,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
NE88 1AA,
United Kingdom.

Guardian’s allowance – 08706451549

Contact HMRC about guardian’s allowance on their dedicated telephone number 0300 200 3101 to notify the tax office you are the primary carer for a child that has lost one or both of their parents. This allowance is provided as a supplement on top of normal child benefit payments however you must inform them of changes in your circumstances that will affect your eligibility to recieve money. These include if the child moves to live with someone else, your contact details change, you go abroad and the status of the surviving parent, if this is applicable. Alternatively you can report these details to the tax office by using their UK address which is provided here for your convenience:

HM Profits and Customs – Guardian’s Allowance Unit,
Child Benefit Office,
PO Box 1,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE88 1AA,
United Kingdom.

Childcare providers – 08706451549

Contact HMRC if you are a childcare provider by calling their UK phone number 0345 300 3941 for assistance with your working tax credits. Alternatively if you are hard of hearing or you have a severe speech impediment then you can call their textphone number 0845 300 3909. Both of these helplines are open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday and 9am-5pm Sunday although closures may occur on UK bank holidays such as Christmas Day.

National insurance – 08706451549

To call HMRC (Inland Income) about your national insurance card, contributions or NI number, phone 0300 200 3500 at community amount from within the UK or contact HMRC using this number if calling from overseas: +44 191 203 7010 (international call costs apply).

Information on national insurance rates, thresholds, statutory payments, Class 3 national insurance and employment histories are available on this helpline. You can also call the tax office on this number to request a national insurance statement, or if you have lost or haven’t received your national insurance number or card.

If you use a textphone, call HMRC on 0300 200 3519.

These NI helplines are all available 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday (they’re closed on Sundays and UK bank holidays).

You can also write to HMRC’s national insurance offices using the postal address provided below.

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office,
HM Profits and Customs,
BX9 1AN,
United Kingdom.

Employer Enquiries – 08706451549

If you are an employer and wish to contact HMRC for advice about employee taxation, phone 0300 200 3200, send a fax to 0300 052 3030, or use the Textphone number 0300 200 3212.

Tax office advisors on these helplines can answer questions and help you resolve issues relating to stakeholder pensions, student loan repayments, real-time PAYE (including statutory sick pay and paternity/maternity pay), the Construction Industry Scheme and any other employment related query. Helplines are open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday, but are closed on Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Calls to these numbers are charged at standard UK area rates – the same level as a call to any 01 or 02 phone number from a UK based telephone.

A number of online forms are available on the official HMRC employer website.

To tell HMRC you have been payrolling benefits go to:

To inform HMRC that you don’t owe National Insurance contributions, see this page:

To send HMRC a query about Statutory Sick Pay, go to:

As an employer you can also post your query to HMRC using this postal address:

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1BX,
United Kingdom.

VAT enquiries – 08706451549

Phone HMRC’s VAT enquiries helpline using local-rate contact number 0300 200 3700, or use the international callers’ number: +44 2920 501 261.

This helpline is open between 8am and 6pm on weekdays (Monday-Friday),and is closed on weekends and UK public holidays (bank holidays). This helpline is also quietest between 8am and 11am so try calling in the morning if you’re struggling to get through swiftly in the afternoon.

You may even get a faster reply if you make your VAT enquiry online, using the official HMRC website’s VAT enquiries service here:

If you want to write by post or send a VAT attachment to HMRC, send your mail to this address:

HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Written Enquiries Team,
Alexander House,
21 Victoria Avenue,
SS99 1BD,
United Kingdom.

HMRC’s VAT Contact Details – Summarised

Below is a list to summarise the various useful contact details (phone numbers, postal addresses, email addresses and links to contact forms online) for specific departments within HMRC concerning VAT.

Department Contact Options
Correct Errors on VAT Return Post: Send a VAT652 form to: HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Error Correction Team, Floor 13, North Euston Tower, 286 Euston Road, London, NW1 3UH, United Kingdom.
Insolvency/Bankrupcy Post: HM Revenue and Customs, VAT Controller, VAT Central Unit, BX5 5AT, United Kingdom.
VAT Online Services Phone: 0300 200 3701 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm)International Phone: +44 2920 501 261

Textphone: 0300 200 3719

Live Chat:

Overseas VAT Payments Phone: 0300 053 7402 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)Overseas Phone: +44 300 053 7402

Fax: 0300 053 7405


Post: HM Revenue and Customs – Overseas Repayment Unit, Foyle House, Duncreggan Road, Londonderry, BT48 7AE, United Kingdom.

Order VAT Payment Slips Phone: 0300 051 9206Contact Form:
VAT Relief – Disabled, Elderly Phone: 0300 123 1073 (8:30am-5pm Mon-Fri)Post: Charities, Savings and International 2, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1BU, United Kingdom.

Call costs

* 0300 numbers are charged at standard UK nearby call rate (the same fee as calling an 01 or 02 number). Calls from from mobiles can therefore cost upto 45p per minute.

* International calls generally cost more than domestic regional calls – the exact charge will depend on which country you are calling from and which phone company you are with.

Climate change levy – 08706451549

Contact HMRC about climate change levy payments on their telephone number 0300 200 3700 to calculate how much you will have to pay on your electricity, gas and fuel usage. Furthermore you should call this helpline if you believe your organisation is exempt from paying this levy, for example if you represent a charity which doesn’t participate in commercial operations. Alternatively if you would like to register your business so you can pay the climate change levy properly you can call their dedicated phone number 0300 059 2688, where you can also request a refund if you have overpaid.

Alcohol duties & warehousing – 08706451549

Phone HMRC on their UK contact number 0300 200 3701 for tax enquiries relating to the sale of tobacco and alcohol products. You can also call this helpline to notify them that you are storing these restricted items via the Alcohol & Tobacco Warehousing Declaration (ATWD). Alternatively if your business has to pay duty on beer, wine or cider you can call their dedicated contact number 0300 058 3920 for enquiries about when you should pay and to get a return for overpaid alcohol fees.

HMRC Agent helplines

If you are acting as an authorised tax agent on behalf of a client, friend, or family member, then please look at the list below for dedicated debt management, self assessment, PAYE and tax credit helplines for authorised agents.

Department Phone number (for agents) Helpline availability
Debt Management 0300 200 3887 8am-8pm Monday-Friday
Self Assessment or PAYE 0300 200 3311 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday
Tax Credits 0345 300 3943 Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-4pm

HMRC complaints (how to complain) – 08706451549

If you wish to register a complaint about HMRC, you should use the department phone number specific to the office you want to complain about.

If you are unsure of which department to contact, use this number: 0330 200 3300 – this helpline is staffed by customer service and complaints resolution experts at HMRC’s cash flow tax and basic enquiries office.

If your complaint is about earnings tax or self assessments, you can write to HMRC at this address:

PAYE and Self Assessment Complaints,
HM Earnings and Customs,
BX9 1AB,
United Kingdom.

Similarly, if your complaint is about national insurance, or a complaint about HMRC employers’ services, use this postal address:

NIC and EO Complaints,
HM Earnings and Customs,
BX9 1AA,
United Kingdom.

To make a complaint about HMRC’s online services, you can fill out a form on the official website as follows:

  • If you are an individual and wish to complain, click here.
  • If you are an agent acting on behalf of someone else, click here.
  • If you are a business owner and wish to make a complaint, click here.
  • You can also complain about HMRC online services by post. To do this, write in to this address:

Furthermore you can send a letter of complaint about one of their online services which has led to you missing an important tax deadline or refund by using this postal address:

HM Income and Customs – Digital Service Complaints,
2nd Floor Accounts Office,
Victoria Street,
BD98 8AA,
United Kingdom.

For the most serious complaints, including criminal or borderline criminal activity by an HMRC employee or representative, write to HMRC using the postal address provided here:

HM Earnings and Customs,
PO Box 64353,
United Kingdom.

Stamp duty – 08706451549

Contact HMRC on their stamp duty phone number 0300 200 3510 for enquiries relating to reserved tax, wherein you pay money to the UK government for paperless transactions involving company shares. The majority of these payments are processed online which means there is only a minor chance of error, however if you believe you have overpaid on stamp duty you can call their welcoming staff to request compensation. This is also the main helpline for queries relating to stamp duty land tax as well as the annual tax on enveloped dwellings, so please do not hesitate to call if you are having difficulties calculating how much you will need to pay.

Campaigns – 08706451549

Contact HMRC about their special awareness campaigns on their non-geographic telephone number 0300 123 9272, where you can enquire about their promotions encouraging small UK businesses to submit correct returns information on their credit card sales. Alternatively if you would like to provide feedback on their campaigns regarding landlord properties, national minimum wage and secondary earnings returns then you should examine the list below to identify which number you should dial.

HMRC campaign contact numbers

Campaign UK phone number
Credit card sales 0300 123 9272
Let property 0300 123 0998
National minimum wage 0300 123 2671
Second income 0300 123 0945

Charities & community sports clubs – 08706451549

Contact HMRC on their charities helpline phone number 0300 123 1073 to enquire about gift aid and VAT relief. Furthermore this is the main point of contact for community amateur sports clubs thus you should call this number to check if your team is eligible for tax relief. Finally please call these advisors if you would like to order ChR1 forms, continuation sheets and forms relating to gift aid contributions.

Corporation tax – 08706451549

Contact the HMRC corporation tax office on their UK phone number 0300 200 3410 for general enquiries about your regular contributions and their CHAPS payment system. Thus if you believe you have overpaid on your corporation tax due to an accounting error you can call this helpline to receive a correct tax bill. Lines are open 8am-6pm Monday-Friday however they recommend calling between 8am-9am and 5pm-6pm as this is when they get the least calls, meaning you will be on hold for less time. Alternatively if you would like to contact the Northern Ireland tax office about your corporation’s contributions, or if you believe your business is eligible for creative industry relief then please consult the table below to find the correct phone number for you to call.

HMRC corporation tax phone numbers – at a glance

Department Contact number
General enquiries (UK) 0300 200 3410
General enquiries (international) +44 151 268 0571
Order corporation tax forms 0300 200 3411
Arrange a group payment 0300 058 3947
Northern Ireland corporation tax office 03000 599 000
Public body enquiries 0300 123 1081
Creative industry tax relief 0300 051 0191

Check identity of HMRC debt collector – 08706451549

Phone HMRC to check the identity of one of their debt collectors by calling their UK contact number 0300 200 3862 to confirm that the individual you are speaking to is a genuine employee rather than a criminal attempting to defraud you and your property. When calling them you should provide the identification number on the collector’s photo ID, their legitimate staff are trained to wait patiently whilst you do this so please do not hesitate in calling.

Excise movement & control systems – 08706451549

Call HMRC on their excise telephone contact number 0300 057 5989 if you regularly import goods into the UK or you sell products internationally which go through border control checks. For example if you would like to confirm how your goods are processed through their movement and control systems then you can call this helpline for full updates on their freight monitoring. Alternatively if you would like to report customs, excise and VAT fraud or if you would like details of the EU trade statistics provided by Intrastat then you will be able to find the relevant contact number in the table below.

All HMRC excise telephone numbers

Excise department Contact number
General enquiries 0300 057 5989
Intrastat enquiries 0300 059 4231
New computerised transit systems 0300 057 5988
Report customs, excise & VAT fraud 0800 595 000

Flooding tax relief – 08706451549

Phone HMRC for free by calling their freephone contact number 0800 904 7900 to claim tax relief in the event that your home or business has been severely affected by flooding. The tax office recognises that you may struggle in the event of natural disasters thus they offer a range of relief packages to help get you back on your feet. This number is free to call from all UK landline and mobile phones, lines are open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm on weekends.

Report benefit fraud – 08706451549

Phone HMRC to report benefit fraud on their freephone contact number 0800 854 440, for example if you believe someone is claiming job-related disability allowances despite being capable of working. You can report suspected fraud anonymously so your allegations will be treated with full confidentiality. Alternatively if you suspect either an individual or a business of committing tax avoidance and evasion you can call the appropriate helpline from the table below to notify HMRC of your suspicions.

Report fraud & tax avoidance to HMRC – relevant contact numbers

HMRC anti-fraud department Phone number
Report benefit fraud 0800 854 440
Report suspected tax avoidance 03000 588 993
Report tax evasion 0800 788 887
Offshore asset disclosure 0300 322 7012

ISA account enquiries – 08706451549

Contact HMRC on their UK non-geographic phone number 0300 200 3312 for impartial advice about Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs). For example you can call this helpline to find out whether the amount of money you hold in stocks and shares means you are ineligible to deposit funds into an ISA account. Furthermore you can also call this number to find out when you will be able to withdraw money from your savings accounts and to check the recommended interest rates set by the Bank of England.

Shares & asset valuations – 08706451549

Contact HMRC to get a valuation on unquoted shares and assets by calling their specifically-allocated telephone number 0300 123 1082. You can also use this helpline service to enquire about the tax implications of purchasing bloodstock, chattels, foreign residential property and personal aircraft. You can call the HMRC valuations team on weekdays between 8am-4pm, however there may be closures on some UK bank holidays such as Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.

Inheritance tax & probate – 08706451549

Call the HMRC inheritance tax department by calling their telephone contact number 0300 123 1072 to enquire how much you should be paying to the tax office after receiving assets from a will. Moreover you can call this helpline for details on how you can claim on the probate wishes of the deceased and to check how much your loved ones will have to pay into the nations’s coffers after your passing. This helpline is charged at the same price as calls to neighborhood geographic numbers in the UK, however you will be able to call 0300 123 1072 for free if you have free inclusive minutes as part of your landline or cell tariff.

International tax debt – 08706451549

Please phone this telephone contact number 03000 538 932 if HMRC has contacted you about tax debt you have accrued from an EU member state. You should either call this number to pay your outstanding tax debts or to dispute them if you believe you have already settled the owed finances.

HMRC mariners unit – 08706451549

Contact the specialised HMRC mariners unit on their national phone number 0300 058 2419 to check if you are liable to pay national insurance (NI) contributions as a seafarer and for advice on how to make voluntary NI payments when you are on dry land. Alternatively if you are a yacht owner and you have recently sailed into British waters please call the national yacht line number 0300 123 2012 to notify the tax office.

Non-UK resident employees – 08706451549

Phone HMRC on their non-UK resident contact number 03000 533 148 if you are working in the country so you can pay the